Thursday 14 February 2013

PICK UPS #3

JB,  Amazon, Big W, I've been stocking up on a lot lately!

Here is a few of the things I picked up:


1981 (Dir. David Cronenberg)
$21.95 JB Hi Fi

'Did you ever see that scene from scanners where that dudes head explodes?'

I have, but I've never seen the rest of the film until now. The acting is pretty terrible, especially when the scanners are doing the scanning. However it is still a pretty fun watch and Michael Ironside is always reliable. 


2012 (Dir. Rob Sitch)
2 for $30 JB Hi Fi

I've always been a fan of Working Dog, ever since The Late Show and think that they always put out quality products. Any Questions for Ben is no exception, while it may not be as funny as some of their previous films this film is a really charming little story about a guy who has everything but nothing at the same time. Josh Lawson, who is currently making a name for himself in LA really steals the show here, definitely worth a watch. 


1982 (Dir. Steven Speilberg)
$27.95 JB Hi Fi

I was never the biggest fan of this film, it came out the year I was born and while I did watch it as a kid it never affected me like other films did. I've never owned a version of this and when I saw it for a reasonable price I thought I should probably have it just for the sake of it.


Mean Streets 1973 (Dir. Martin Scorsese)
$7.99 Amazon US

After Goodfellas this is my favourite Scorsese film! Harvey Keitel owns this films from start to finish and De Niro is all sorts of crazy as Johnny Boy.

I can't describe how great this film is, it feels real almost documentary like. If you haven't seen it, WATCH IT NOW!


2011 (Dir. Duncan Jones)
$6.99 Amazon US
Duncan (David Bowies son) Jones comes back after the amazing Moon with his second directorial effort. I saw this at the cinema and remember enjoying it so thought I would pick this up. It's basically a sci fi version of Groundhog Day (not really).


1972 / 1974 / 1990 (Dir. Francis Ford Coppola)
$17.95 Amazon US

$17.95 for The Godfather trilogy on blu ray, sold!


1994 (Dir. Tim Burton)

I think this was Tim Burtons last great film, it suits his style perfectly and it's probably my favourite Depp / Burton collaboration. Telling the story of Ed Wood Jr, the worst film director all all time, this film really captures the feel of that time and the cast is top notch. 


2012 (Dir. Rian Johnson)

I really like this film, sure Levitt may look nothing like Bruce Willis in his prosthetic get up but who cares! Rian Johnson has created a fully fleshed out, believable future that I just want to see more of. 






No comments:

Post a Comment